Most bathroom lighting professionals and experts suggest to choose the bulb first and then the fixture. This helps to make the perfect and right combination of light and fixture. While choosing the bulb, make sure it is energy efficient so that you save energy and slash your home electricity bill. Most popular choices for bathroom lighting bulbs include – CFL or fluorescent lamp, quartz-halogen, and incandescent lamps. New trend is towards full-spectrum “natural” bulbs.
Bathroom Lighting Options
Several styles of bathroom lightings are available. Selecting the best light and fixture and proper placement and installation can give your adequate un-shadowed satisfactory results.
Interior lighting is divided into 3 basic categories –
- Task lighting: These lights are bright and illuminate large area.
- Accent lighting: These are decorative lights.
- Ambient lighting (diffuse general lighting): These are soft lights.
Bathroom Lighting and Fixture Options
- Bath and Vanity (bath bar): These fixtures house two or more bulbs and are installed over the mirror and sink. You can use several bulbs depending on the length of your mirror or sink.
- Sconces: These can be added to the sides of your bathroom mirror. They provide light on your face without any shadow. These are good when you are shaving or doing makeup. They are decorative lighting and add beauty to your bathroom.
- Ceiling Lighting: The illuminate the whole bathroom and can be used when your are taking shower or bath.
- Recessed Down Lights: These lighting fixtures are pre-wired and grounded to their own housing boxes. When instilling this fixture, make sure you leave several inches of clearance above the ceiling. If you have a small bathroom with less space, go for low-clearance fixtures.
- New-work units: These are used at places with easy access.
- Surface-Mounted Fixtures: These are mounted directly to a housing box and hence they demand lesser space. Under-counter task lights are also available that you can easily plug into any nearby receptacle.
- Track Systems: These fixtures are mounted to the wall or ceiling. Tracks fixtures can also accommodate pendant fixtures, clip-on lamps, and low-voltage spotlights, and most standard lighting fixtures.
Bathroom Lighting Tips
When buying lighting for your bathroom, take into account the design and finish of your bathroom and its contents. Most manufacturers offer a variety of finishes to match bathroom faucets, lighting and accessories for a cohesive overall design.
- Bathroom Sinks Information
- Bathroom Sinks Pictures and Photo Gallery
- Bathroom Lighting Options
- Bathroom Flooring Options
- Bathroom Design Pictures and Photo Gallery
- Bathroom Cabinets Information
- Steam Shower Benefits and Precautions
- Bathroom Design Ideas with Pictures
- Bathroom Design and Remodeling Ideas
- Vessel Sink Buying Guide
- Common Plumbing Problems and How to Fix Them – DIY Plumbing Problems and Solution
- How to Install Vanity Light
- How to Install a Bathroom Sink
- Bathroom Sink Buying Guide and Review for Consumers
- Bathroom Cabinet Buying Guide and Review for Consumers