Look at the diagram of a sink drain below. You will observe that a sink drain has a flange. This flange is sealed to the sink hole with plumber’s putty. The flange is screwed into the body of the drain which is then tightened to the underside of the sink bowl with the help of a locknut. The tailpiece with a pop-up stopper, attaches to a drain trap with slip-joint couplings.
The sink trap remains filled with water so that sewer gases are not able to enter the room.
The pop-up stopper operates by a combination of levers and rods. If the pop-up stopper is not working properly, you can adjust the clevis screw or position of the pivot rod.
Water is carried from the shutoff valves to the threaded tailpiece on the base of the faucet with the help of flexible supply tubes. These are normally PVC tubes.
How to Connect and Install a Bathroom Sink Drain
Connecting and installation of a bathroom sink drain pipe to the home’s drain plumbing is quite easy. In fact it is a DIY Bathroom Improvement project. Irrespective of the type of drain and water supply system, you can install a bathroom sink drain in following steps:
- Tighten a female adapter onto the drain stub-out at the wall. Do this with hand. Now slide and slip the nuts onto the drain arm and the sink’s tailpiece.
- Fit a P-trap in the right place and tighten the slip nuts by hand.
- Connect flexible water-supply tubes onto the faucet’s tailpieces. Route the tubes to the shut-off valves.
- Using an adjustable wrench, tighten coupling nuts.
- Remove the faucet aerator, and turn on water supply. Check the shutoff valves and pipe joints for any possible leakage. Also turn on the faucet to check for any leaks in the drain assembly. Replace the aerator if required. You are done with installation of sink drain.
- Bathroom Design and Remodeling Ideas
- Common Plumbing Problems and How to Fix Them – DIY Plumbing Problems and Solution
- Bathroom Sinks Information
- Bathroom Sinks Pictures and Photo Gallery
- Bathroom Lighting Options
- Bathroom Flooring Options
- Bathroom Design Pictures and Photo Gallery
- How to Install a Tankless Water Heater
- How to Install a Toilet
- How to Install a Washing Machine
- How to Install Vanity Light
- How to Unclog a Clogged Bathroom Sink Drain
- How to Install a Bathroom Sink
- How to Install an Undermount Sink
- How to Lay or Install Bathroom Tiles
- Interior Wall Paint and Color Scheme Ideas
- How To Install a Bathroom Faucet