Here I explain how to install a vanity light in your bathroom. The same step-by-step procedures also apply when you replace your existing vanity light.
Installing new lighting is the simplest way to brighten up your bathroom. A vanity light is a key element in your bathroom and it adds to the beauty and décor of your bathroom. Bathroom vanity lights are available in all different types of shapes and sizes. If you have even the least knowledge of home lighting, you can easily go for DIY installation of vanity light in your bathroom. Most of them are installed over an existing electrical box. Some of these electrical boxes may be located above a mirror or the medicine cabinet.
When you go to buy the fixture, make sure it will fit into the available space. I would suggest for a fixture that uses a halogen bulb or a frosted diffuser because they do not cast shadows. I have myself installed these in my bathroom.
Now is the time to start the installation. The work gets easier if you want to install a new vanity light. If you want to replace an existing vanity light, start by turning of power supply to the existing fixture. Remove the globe, the diffuser and the bulb. Unscrew the retaining nut that holds the decorative cover plate onto the electrical box. Disconnect the wiring and keep the fixture aside.
How to Install a Vanity Light: Step-by-Step Directions
- Earlier, most incandescent light fixtures were mounted directly to an electrical box. You cannot do this because of government electrical codes. Now you need to mount the fixture to a flat metal bar called a mounting strap. This strap is then secured to the box. When you buy the fixture, make sure it includes the mounting strap and screws.
- Check out the wires and if needed, cut them and strip off 1/2 inch of the insulation with a wire stripper. Attach the wires of the fixture to the circuit wires using the nuts that came with the fixture. Follow manufacturer’s instructions while doing this.
- Hook up the grounding wires following the manufacturer’s instructions. In most cases, grounding wires are hooked to the mounting strap.
- Mount the fixture to the box and screw in the bulbs. Attach the diffuser and tighten gently to avoid any cracking.
You are done with DIY installation of vanity light.
- Bathroom Design and Remodeling Ideas
- Common Plumbing Problems and How to Fix Them – DIY Plumbing Problems and Solution
- Bathroom Sinks Information
- Bathtubs Guide
- How to Install a Tankless Water Heater
- How to Install a Toilet
- How to Install a Washing Machine
- How to Unclog a Clogged Bathroom Sink Drain
- How to Install a Bathroom Sink Drain
- How to Install a Bathroom Sink
- How to Install an Undermount Sink
- How to Lay or Install Bathroom Tiles
- How To Install a Bathroom Faucet