Here I explain steps for crawl space moisture control including basement crawl space moisture control and other crawl space water problems. Home Improvement is not complete without effectively insulating your crawl space and crawl space moisture control. This is important for any home to be comfortable and also for energy efficiency.
A crawlspace is in contact with the earth and is susceptible to moisture and deterioration problem. Method of crawl space moisture control to be adopted depends on your local climate and the style of construction of your home.
Let us now learn and understand general guidelines used for creating a water-managed foundation system that apply to most crawl space designs and construction.
General Guidelines for Creating a Water-Managed Foundation System for Crawl Space
- Construct gutters for rain drainage to drain rainwater away from the house.
- Construct drainage swales to direct rainwater around the house.
- If there are untreated wood and any other wood material, keep them away from the earth.
- Adding a sill gasket to provide air sealing is also recommended.
- In addition to metal flashing, install a protective membrane, such as an EPDM-type membrane, to serve as a capillary break. This will reduce wicking of water from the masonry wall and serve as a termite shield.
- Damp-proof the below-grade portion of the foundation wall to prevent the wall from absorbing ground moisture by capillary action.
- Install drainage plane material or gravel against the foundation wall to relieve hydrostatic pressure and channel water to the foundation drain.
- Provide a foundation drainage system at the bottom of the footing and not on top, when the foundation floor (interior grade) is below the exterior grade. Surround a perforated 4-inch drain pipe with gravel, and cover them with filter fabric.
- Also install polethylene vapor diffusion barrier across the crawl space floor. This will prevent soil moisture from migrating into the crawl space.
- How to Control Moisture in Crawl Space
- Crawl Space Foundation Construction
- What is the Best Backup Sump Pump?
- How to Convert Basement into Living Space
- Basement Improvement
- How a Sump Pump Works
- How to Install or Replace a Sump Pump