Install a radiant floor heating system to heat your floor and make it warm and comfortable underfoot. Several types of radiant floor heaters are available. The best and the easiest one to install is fiberglass-mesh-backed matting that contains electric-resistance cables. Here I will explain how to install this kind of radiant floor heating system.
The first thing to do before installation is to work out and make a plan of the floor. Discuss your requirements with the supplier and they will calculate the amount of material needed. They will even let you know all details with layout showing where to cut and position the mesh for the best coverage and easy installation.
The second important thing to consider before installation is to work out on electrical requirements. You may discuss this with an electrical contractor. The radiant floor heating system that you plan to install may require a dedicated circuit and protection by a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI).
Radiant Floor Heating System Installation
- Using a pair of scissors cut the mesh backing according to the layout. Makesure that you cut only the mesh and not the cable. Now you have rectangular panels or exposed cables that you can position back and forth across the floor and fit around fixtures and cabinetry.
- Using a tester, check and make sure that the cables are intact and working. Staple or glue the mesh (not the cables) to the subfloor to hold it in place. Now apply about 1/8-inch coating of thinset cement or flooring adhesive over the top of the mesh.
- Embed stone or floor tiles in an additional layer of thinset cement.
- Get the system wired to a thermostat. The thermostat should be installed in a standard wall box by an electrician. Finally, test the system if it is working properly.
NOTE: The steps mentioned here is a general overview on how to install a radiant floor heating system. Follow manufacturer’s instructions while installation.
- Floor Improvement
- Radiant Floor Heating
- Electric Radiant Floor Heating System Guide and Information
- Hydronic Radiant Floor Heating System Guide
- Flooring Options for Every Room – Living Room, Bedroom, Bathroom, Kitchen
- Solid Wood Flooring
- Engineered Wood Flooring
- Bamboo Flooring Information
- How to Install a Hardwood Floor
- Flooring Ideas, Options and Tips
- Vinyl Wood Plank Flooring
- How to Clean Wood Floors – DIY Wooden Flooring Cleaning Tips
- How to Lay or Install Bathroom Tiles
- How to Find and Hire the Best Home Remodeling Contractor
- What is Epoxy Floor Paint?
- Advantages / Benefits of Wood Flooring in Your Home
- How to Install Ceramic Floor Tiles
- How to Install Hardwood Floor
- Eco-Friendly Flooring Options
- Wood Floors and Hardwood Wooden Flooring Options
- Bamboo Flooring Guide
- Hardwood Floor / Flooring Guide with Product to Repair Scratch & Refinishing
- Vinyl Flooring Guide (Vinyl Floor Tile and Vinyl Sheet Floors)
- Wood Flooring Finishes Guide – Wood Floor Surface Finish
- Laminate Wood Flooring Guide & Information
- Wood Floor Care: How to Clean Hardwood Floor and Prevent / Repair Scratches
- Top 101 Best Places to Live in the United States of America
- Ways to Finance Home Improvement – Best 5 Ways for Financing your Home Improvement Projects
- Bathroom Design and Remodeling Ideas
- Bedroom Decorating and Makeover Ideas
- Electronics Tutorial
- Granite Kitchen Worktops – Review, Tips and Ideas
- 10 Easy and Quick Home Decorating Ideas in Budget