Exterior walls of a home give the first impression to visitors. A well painted home can add beauty and value to it. Well painted, good looking and beautifully painted exterior walls of a home can be very pleasant and peaceful. It is not that only so called experts can give good or great ideas on how to paint the exterior walls of a home. Anyone, with some research can easily develop some great painting ideas and make his or her home look beautiful.
This exterior wall painting guide will teach you how to professionally paint the exterior walls of your home without having to hire any expert.
For exterior surfaces it is very important to undertake repairs of any wall
imperfections before commencing painting. The most common problem with exterior walls, especially old constructions is cracks in the wall. Avoid applying putty or filling compound while painting exterior surfaces. Fill up cracks with a 1:3 cement and sand mixture. All external drainage pipes must be checked for rusting or leakage. Any faulty plumbing must be rectified.
Special attention must be given to the roof. Check for cracks near the edges and close to the water reservoirs. Proper masonry or waterproofing work on the ceiling will enhance the performance of the painted surfaces.
Before painting the exterior walls of your home, do some surface preparation. Check out following:
- If the walls of your home are newly plastered then allow all surfaces to dry completely for about 30 to 60 days.
- Make sure the surface of the walls is free from any dust, grease and any loose materials.
- If you observe growth of any fungus and algae on any of the walls then remove them thoroughly by brushing it with wire brush. After brushing, clean the wall with bleaching powder solution. Allow the surface to dry completely.
- Make sure all surface is free from chalking. Sand and remove all loose particles of previously oil painted surfaces. If any part of the exterior wall surface is rough or has coating of cement paint, then brush it with wire brush and wash with water and allow enough time to dry completely.
- I suggest not to paint the exterior walls of your home during rainy season. Exterior walls should not have any dampness when painting. Even if you have to paint your home during rain, then allow enough time for the surface to dry out completely before painting.
Painting Exterior Walls
- Apply a liberal coat of Exterior Wall Primer. Go through the recommended method mentioned by the manufacturer.
- Apply at least two coats of top coat paint. Follow manufacturer-recommended dilution. It is better to use good quality Weather Proof Exterior Emulsion Paint.
- Apply the second coat after 4 to 6 hours. This will give enough time for the first coat to dry.
- Give an additional coating to horizontal surfaces like parapets and the tops of awnings for better look and protection.
- Home Exterior Wall Painting Ideas and Color Scheme and Color Combination
- Exterior Home Decorating Ideas
- Outdoor Home Improvement
- Painting Guide on How to Paint Interior Walls of a Home
- Interior Wall Paint and Color Scheme Ideas
- Indoor Home Improvement
- Top 10 Home Improvement Tips and Remodeling Ideas
- How to Paint Metal Surface at Home
- How to Paint Wooden Surface at Home