The best way to save electricity bill is to use less electricity at home. The secret is to use energy-saving lights and energy-efficient electrical home appliances. Some good habits and practices can also save electricity for you.
Before I proceed to explain how to use less electricity and save electricity bill, let me explain what is “Watt”. Power usage of all electrical equipments and home appliances is measured in “Watt”.
What is Watt?
Watt is unit to measure power usage of electrical appliances in one hour. Example – if the power consumption of a bulb is 100 Watt, it means that it will use 100 watts of power in 1 hour. This gives the unit “Watthour”. 1 Kilowatt = 1 Thousand Watts.
How to Calculate Power Consumption or Watt Usage?
Power consumption of any electrical device can be calculated by multiplying voltage and amps used.
Formula: Watt = Volts * Amps
Example: If an appliance operation at 120 Volts uses 4 amps then it consumes – 120 * 4 = 480 Watts of power per hour.
How to Save Electricity
- Use Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL): A CFL bulb uses 80% less electricity than a traditional tungsten filament bulb. Using CFL light in your home can directly save about 80% of your electricity bill. Another advantage of using CFL is that they last too long and often carry warranties.
- Computer and Monitor: An LCD monitor consumes less electricity as compared to a CRT monitor. Use an LCD monitor. When not using, shut down and switch off the computer and the monitor to save electricity. If you cannot or don’t what to shut down the computer then at least switch off the monitor when not doing any work. Similarly, switch off all other hardware connected to the computer when not in use. These hardware can include printers, scanner, gaming consoles etc.
- Use CRT Television: A CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) television uses much less electricity as compared to a plasma TV or an LCD. A CRT television uses about 75-100 Watts of electricity while a plasma TV uses about 300 Watts of electricity and a LCD television uses about 220 Watts of electricity.
- Gaming Gadgets: Avoid gaming gadgets as far as possible as they too consume lot of electricity. Instead play games on the computer. There are huge list of computer games available that are no less than any gaming console.
- Air Conditioner: Try to adjust the thermostat of your AC to save electricity. Lower the thermostat by about 3-4 degrees in winter and increase the thermostat by 3-4 degree in summer. Do the opposite with your home heater.
- Use : A microwave can cook food quickly and also save energy when compared to an electric oven.
- Refrigerator and Freezer: These are two that consume too much electricity. By practicing some tips, anyone can save huge electricity:
- Never leave the door open.
- If the refrigerator is empty, just switch it off.
- Never store hot food in the fridge.
- Clean the condenser coils at regular intervals for proper cooling. Do this at least once a month. Make sure to switch off and unplug the refrigerator.
- Always buy an energy star rated refrigerator and freezer.
Easy Ways to Save Electricity and Save Electric Bill
- Turn off lights and other home appliances when not in use.
- Use a low watt light in the bathroom as there is no need to have bright light in the bathroom. Use energy efficient lighting options wherever possible.
- Use electrical appliances as less as possible.
- Use a washing machine and clothes dryer with full loads. You can also dry your clothes in the sun instead of using the clothes dryer.
- Adjust the thermostat of your AC. Raise the set temperature to about 78 degree F during summer. Set the temperature down during the winter.
- Use a programmable electronic thermostat for your heating and cooling systems. You can easily set an electronic thermostat to adjust temperature energy-saving levels as and when required.
- A water heater consumes a lot of electricity. Turn down the water heater temperature to a maximum of 120 degrees.
- Use alternate and green energy such as solar energy.
Try to implement the above tips and save considerable electricity and money electric bill.
- Bathroom Lighting Options
- Bathroom Lights and Lighting Fixtures Buying Guide
- Radiant Floor Heating
- How to Install Radiant Floor Heating System
- What is Energy Star?
- How Solar Water Heater Works
- How Radiant Floor Heating System Works
- All About Thermostat
- Alternative Lighting Solutions for Home and Office
- How to Save Electricity at Home – 5 Easy and Simple Energy Saving Tips to Cut Down Electricity Consumption and Slash Electricity Bill
- Reading Home Electric Meter
- Home Electrical Wiring System
- How to Trace a Short Circuit
- 10 Easy Energy Saving Tips to Cut Energy Costs at Home and Office
- Glossary of Home Electrical Terms
- Home Electrical Wiring Types and Rules
- How to Wire a 220v Outlet
- Electrical Grounding or Earthing
- Main Electrical Panel, Subpanels and Circuit Breakers in Home Wiring
- Energy Saving Tips for the Home