There could be a number of problems with a home electrical wiring and circuitry. There could be fault in the home electrical wiring, overload on a wiring circuit, defective wall switches or receptacles, defective cords or plugs or some defect in 220v outlet wiring. Sometimes it gets very difficult to trace out the cause of the short circuit. Short circuits normally happens when a hot wire touches a neutral or ground wire. The extra electric current flowing through the circuit causes the breaker to trip or the electrical fuse to blow. This interrupts the flow of electricity. It is easy to tell whether there is a short circuit or not. But it is not always easy to trace where exactly it happened.
Here are some tips how to trace a short circuit or overload.
Tracing a Short Circuit or Overload
In order to trace a short circuit, turn off all wall switches and unplug all lights and appliances. Now reset the tripped breaker. If there is a fuse in place of breaker, replace it. Now check Following:
- Once the breaker is reset, see if it trips off immediately again? If yes, there could be a short circuit in a receptacle or switch. Open and check the switch. Replace if required.
- If the breaker does not trip again, turn on each switch one at a time and check when the breaker trips again.
- If turning on a switch causes the breaker to trip, there’s a short circuit in a fixture or receptacle controlled by the switch. Get the fixture or the receptacle checked by an electrician
- If the breaker doesn’t trips even after turning ON all switches, there could some problem in one of the appliances connected to the switch. Plug-in all appliances one after another and turn ON the switch.
- If the breaker trips as soon as the appliance is plugged in and switched ON, there is problem in the cord or plug connected to the appliance. Get it checked and fixed by an electrician.
- If the breaker trips or the fuse blows when the appliance is turned ON, there is problem in the appliance. Get it checked and fixed by an appliance repair expert.
PS: Do not try to do any electrical repairing or appliance repairing job without any prior experience.
Conclusion Home electrical jobs can give electric shocks if not done with safety measures. One should not try to do any electrical without any prior hands-on experience. This can be dangerous. It is better to get the job done by an experienced electrician.
- Reading Home Electric Meter
- How to Use Less Electricity at Home & Save Electricity Bill
- How to Save Electricity at Home – 5 Easy and Simple Energy Saving Tips to Cut Down Electricity Consumption and Slash Electricity Bill
- What is Energy Star