Floor of a room be it the kitchen, living room, bathroom or bedroom or even the garage, are important par of any home. The look and feel of a home as well as its value depends a lot on the type of flooring it has.
Different flooring options are available today – Laminate Flooring, Vinyl Flooring, Commercial Flooring, Wood Flooring, Tile Flooring, Carpet Flooring Rubber Flooring etc. The type of flowing you can have depends on several factors like your budget, your living style and you needs.
Below are some expert tips and ideas of different types and options for flooring.
What is Laminate Flooring?
Laminated flooring materials are hybrid material laminated together for flooring purpose. Laminated flooring is generally transparent and moisture-resistant and scratch-free. So, this type of flooring is good for your home if you have pets like dogs and cats.
Laminated flooring materials consist of following layers starting bottom to top:
- Underlayment that helps installation.
- Melamine resin that offers stability and moisture resistance.
- Fiberboard core that offers stability and durability.
- Decorative layer that can stimulate almost all flooring materials including hardwood marble and stone.
- Protective and transparent layer that provides resistance from scratch.
Is Laminated Flooring Durable?
Yes, laminated flooring is extremely durable. It is scratch-free and offers resistance to moisture. In fact, laminated flooring is more long lasting than any vinyl, carpet or hardwood flooring.
Is Laminated Flooring Economical?
Considering the durability and other features, laminated flooring is comparatively cheaper and economical that other flooring options.
Is Laminate Flooring Easy to Clean and Maintain?
Yes, because laminated flooring material is scratch-free and moisture-resistant, it is quite easy to clean and maintain. There is no need to wax or varnish.
Is Laminated Flooring Eco Friendly?
Yes, laminated flooring is very much eco-friendly. They are made from natural resources like wood chip fiberboard are recyclable.
How To Install Laminate Flooring?
Laminate flooring is quite easy to install as compared to any other flooring option. There is no need to use any fastener or glue to the sub floor. Simple installation method called “lock and click” and “floats” is used to install the material. Most suppliers do the installation.
What is Vinyl Flooring?
Vinyl is made from polyvinyl chloride and plasticizer. The material is flexible, non-porous, shiny, tough and washable. Vinyl flooring sheets and tiles are available as flooring options. It can be applied on almost any floor surface including concrete, wood, linoleum, resilient floors etc. Vinyl flooring is also called resilient flooring.
What Types of Vinyl Flooring Options are Available?
Vinyl flooring is available as vinyl sheets, tiles, planks and vinyl wood flooring. Vinyl flooring sheets are available in 6, 9 and 12-foot-wide rolls. Vinyl flooring tiles are available in standard 12 inches square but it can vary.
Is Vinyl Flooring Durable?
Yes, vinyl flooring is durable enough. Most manufacturers will offer good warranty and even lifetime warranty because of long life and durability of the product. Commercial vinyl flooring is hard-wearing and last longer.
Is Vinyl Flooring Economical?
Yes, vinyl flooring is very cheap and economical. In fact it is one of the cheapest flooring options. Vinyl flooring is much cheaper than hardwood, tile, and stone.
Is Vinyl Flooring Eco Friendly?
Yes, modern vinyl flooring is safe, non-toxic and eco-friendly. Vinyl flooring material is also recyclable.
How To Install Vinyl Flooring?
Vinyl flooring can be installed by 3 different methods depending on the type of material – Full spread method, Perimeter adhered method and Floating flooring method. However, you must remember that installation of vinyl flooring is not easy. It is not a DIY project and must be done by professionals.
What is Commercial Flooring?
Commercial flooring is for buildings and construction meant for commercial purpose. E.g. – manufacturing units, stores, offices, school and college etc. Commercial buildings are prone to large traffic and movement. Hence the floor has to be very rough and tough and durable.
What Types of Commercial Flooring Options are Available?
Different flooring options for commercial buildings are available. Most common of them are – Concrete flooring, Resilient or Vinyl flooring, Hardwood flooring, Carpet tiles and Epoxy flooring.
Is Commercial Flooring Durable?
Durability of commercial flooring depends on type and traffic. Generally, these floors and made for durability. Concrete, Vinyl and Epoxy flooring are most common and very durable.
Is Commercial Flooring Economical?
Budget of commercial flooring depends on the type of material. While concrete and vinyl flooring is cheaper, hardwood, epoxy and carpet tiles can be expensive.
Is Commercial Flooring Eco Friendly?
Yes, material like concrete, vinyl, wood, carpet tiles, epoxy is all made out of safe and non-toxic material. Most of them are even recyclable. Because of government rules and regulations, commercial institutions are bound to use Eco-friendly material.
How To Install Commercial Flooring?
Installation of commercial flooring depends on the type of floor to be installed. Most of them are not DIY projects and some professional has to be hired.
What is Wood Flooring?
Wood flooring is any material or product made from wood or timber for flooring purpose.
What Types of Wood Flooring Options are Available?
Wood flooring is generally of two types:
- Solid Hardwood Flooring – These are planks made from solid wood and milled from a single piece of timber. Solid hardwood flooring materials are available in wide range of styles and dimension. There is no standard size and they can be custom-made.
- Engineered Wood Flooring – As the name suggests, engineered wood flooring is a material engineered for flooring purpose. It is made from two or more layers of wood plank. It is the most common type of wood floor used worldwide.
* Bamboo Flooring is also considered as wood flooring.
Is Wood Flooring Durable?
Wood flooring is sensitive to moisture and is subject to expansion and contraction. Hence, it is not very durable as compared to other flooring options. Durability of the floor also depends on the type of wood used. Most common and durable wood used for flooring are – Brazilian cherry, Hickory, Oak, Maple and Mahogany. Engineered wood flooring is more durable than solid hardwood floors because they are engineered and designed for durability.
Is Wood Flooring Economical?
Compared to other flooring options, wood flooring is not cheap. These floors also need proper care and maintenance.
Is Wood Flooring Eco Friendly?
Yes, wood flooring is Eco-friendly. But if you are conscious about forests and trees, try to avoid wood flooring.
How To Install Wood Flooring?
Woof flooring installation is not a DIY easy task. Wood is subject to expansion and contraction, hence proper care has to be taken while installation. It needs all kinds of tools. It is better to get the job done by an expert professional.
What is Tile Flooring?
Flooring material made out of ceramic, stone, rubber, plastic or glass. Ceramic tiles are painted and glazed for flooring purpose. These tiles are laid on the floor in various patters for a beautiful floor.
What Types of Tile Flooring Options are Available?
Tiles for flooring are available in different material, design and sizes. Materials used to make flooring tiles include porcelain, ceramic, stone, rubber, plastic, glass travertine, marble, slate, cork etc. These tiles are available in different designs and sizes.
Is Tile Flooring Durable?
Durability of tile flooring depends on material of the tiles. Material like rubber, plastic, marble, slate and travertine are very durable and long lasting. Remember that tile resists scratching and is fire-resistant.
Is Tile Flooring Economical?
Again this depends on the material of the tiles. Tiles made from vinyl are cheap and affordable while marble can be expensive. But there are so many varieties of tile flooring material available that anyone can find the tile for flooring that suits his budget.
Is Tile Flooring Eco Friendly?
Yes, tile flooring is Eco-friendly. They are made from safe and non-toxic material. Many manufacturers are now making flooring tiles from waste material that could otherwise fill landfills. Many floor tile materials are also recyclable.
How To Install Tile Flooring?
Installation of flooring tiles depends on the material of the tile. While installation of tiles made from vinyl is easy to install, other tiles may need some professional to install.
- Floor Improvement
- Flooring Options for Every Room – Living Room, Bedroom, Bathroom, Kitchen
- Solid Wood Flooring
- Engineered Wood Flooring
- Bamboo Flooring Information
- How to Install a Hardwood Floor
- Vinyl Wood Plank Flooring
- Radiant Floor Heating
- How to Install Radiant Floor Heating System
- How to Clean Wood Floors – DIY Wooden Flooring Cleaning Tips
- How to Lay or Install Bathroom Tiles
- How to Find and Hire the Best Home Remodeling Contractor
- What is Epoxy Floor Paint?
- Advantages / Benefits of Wood Flooring in Your Home
- How to Install Ceramic Floor Tiles
- How to Install Hardwood Floor
- Eco-Friendly Flooring Options
- Wood Floors and Hardwood Wooden Flooring Options
- Bamboo Flooring Guide
- Hardwood Floor / Flooring Guide with Product to Repair Scratch & Refinishing
- Vinyl Flooring Guide (Vinyl Floor Tile and Vinyl Sheet Floors)
- Hydronic Radiant Floor Heating System Guide
- Wood Flooring Finishes Guide – Wood Floor Surface Finish
- Laminate Wood Flooring Guide & Information
- Electric Radiant Floor Heating System Guide and Information
- Wood Floor Care: How to Clean Hardwood Floor and Prevent / Repair Scratches
- Top 101 Best Places to Live in the United States of America
- Ways to Finance Home Improvement – Best 5 Ways for Financing your Home Improvement Projects
- Bathroom Design and Remodeling Ideas
- Bedroom Decorating and Makeover Ideas
- Granite Kitchen Worktops – Review, Tips and Ideas
- 10 Easy and Quick Home Decorating Ideas in Budget