Eco-friendly flooring or environmentally friendly floors are one that are safe, healthy, green, free from toxic substances and volatile organic compounds (VOC) and last long to avoid frequent re-installation and reduces waste.
Eco-friendly floors and flooring material are safe for both human and nature.
Below I discuss some of the best available Eco-friendly flooring options.
- Naturally Available Stones like Granite, Marble and Slate: These flooring materials safe for both human beings and the environment. These materials also don’t need any harmful chemicals for installation. They last long that prevent frequent repair or re-installations that reduces waste.
- Ceramic Tiles: These tiles are made from clay but many of them are also made from recycled material such as glass. Ceramic tiles and tough and durable and doesn’t need frequent repair or too much maintenance. This reduces the production of waste material.
- Wood Floors: Wooden floors environmentally friendly and preserve ecosystems. Just take keep in mind to use wood from only from certified forests and not just from any forest.
- Engineered Wooden Flooring: These flooring materials are made from hardwood from certified forests and are very durable. These flooring materials are made of several layers and the decorative layer can be varnished and re-varnished again and again. This reduces production of waste material.
- Bamboo Flooring: Bamboo flooring made from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified forests are very eco-friendly. These plants are renewable and can get mature in about 10 years or even less. Just make sure to select a low VOC product.
- Linoleum Flooring: These are made from recyclable and biodegradable material and are very safe for the environment. Linoleum flooring materials are strong, durable and water-proof. They are also very easy to install. They also restrict the growth of bacteria and decrease allergic reactions.
- Cork Flooring: These materials are manufactured from bark of cork-oak trees and by-products of cork stoppers. Oak trees can be harvested in about 10 years. Make sure to use adhesives with low Volatile Organic Compounds.
* Try to avoid vinyl flooring and carpet flooring are they are not Eco-friendly. Most people use vinyl and carpet flooring because they are cheap. But these are not very environmentally friendly floors.
- Flooring Ideas, Options and Tips
- How to Install Hardwood Floor
- Radiant Floor Heating
- How to Install Radiant Floor Heating System
- How to Clean Wood Floors – DIY Wooden Flooring Cleaning Tips
- What is Epoxy Floor Paint?
- Advantages / Benefits of Wood Flooring in Your Home
- 10 Easy and Quick Home Decorating Ideas in Budget
- DIY Kitchen Remodeling & Renovation Ideas
- Bathroom Flooring Options
- How to Decorate a Small Living Room to Create More Space
- Easy DIY Home Improvement Projects for Beginners
- Flooring Brands: Pergo, Armstrong, Mohawk, Empire Today, Marmoleum
- Flooring Stores: Home Depot, Lowe’s, Lumber Liquidators, IKEA, Flooring America