A French door is a door made up of panes or panels of glass. Frames made out of materials such as wood, steel or fiberglass separate each panel. Glass panes of various shapes are fitted into these panels to get a flat French door.
A French door is a great addition to any home decor as they add style and beauty to the home. Apart from adding beauty to the home, a French door also allows maximum sunlight enter the house. French doors can also work as home room dividers and partition.
French doors are available in many sizes, styles and configurations. Frames and mullions of French doors are normally made from three types of material: wood, steel and fiberglass.
Wood French Door
Wood is the most common French door material. Wood makes excellent French doors and offer elegant beautiful look.
Wood is also the most expensive French door material in terms of both manufacturing and maintenance.
Wood for French doors comes in many verities that offer a great rustic and appealing look. They can also be stained or painted.
Common wood for French doors include: Hardwoods, softwoods, poplar wood, red oak wood, white oak wood, ash wood, hickory, cherry, walnut wood and mahogany wood.
Fiberglass French Door
Fiberglass is not a natural material for any door. It is a man-made material and is extensively used as material for home furniture including doors. Fiberglass is favored because it offers nice and clean look to give modern look and appeal. They can easily be painted or stained in any color to match the color of your home or your taste and living style.
Fiberglass is synthetic in nature and is quite strong and durable. It can sustain the worst climatic conditions without any peel, swell, or warp and needs least maintenance. Fiberglass is also very economical in terms of price. Fiberglass can also resemble wood through “edge treatment”.
Steel French Door
Steel is the most inexpensive French door material. Steel is strong, durable, long lasting. It offers elegant and beautiful metallic look to a home and can withstand any weather conditions.
Sometime steel can dent which makes it difficult to repair because of its hardness. However, a steel French door can get scratched or rusted and needs to be painted regularly. Once a year is good.
- Types of French Doors
- Feng Shui Fu Dogs: Chinese Door God for Protection
- Top 10 Tools for DIY Home Improvement and Repair Projects
- How to Paint Metal Surface at Home
- How to Paint Wooden Surface at Home
- Exterior Entry Doors Buying Guide & Reviews (Choosing the Best Exterior Door)
- Shower Door Buying Guide and Review for Consumers
- Sliding Door Buying Guide and Review for Consumers
- Wood French Door Buying Guide and Review for Consumers (Exterior and Interior Wood French Doors)
- Exterior Front Entry Door Buying Guide
- Home Room Dividers & Partition
- How to Paint a French Wooden Door – Painting a French Door
- How to Repair and Fix Doorbell and Door Chime Problems
- Sliding Door – Hardware and Construction of Interior and Exterior Sliding Doors
- Doors Manufacturers – List of Top 10 Home Door Manufacturers