Tools needed to paint window frames:
- An angled sash paintbrush that will reach into corners is best suitable.
- Masking tape to cover the edges of the window glass.
- A rag and a putty-knife blade to wipe off excess paint.
- Turpentine Oil to Adjust thickness of the paint and to clean any excess paint.
- Hand Gloves.
- Face Mask.
How to paint double-hung windows
- Lift and remove the sashes if they are removable and lay them on a table to paint. In case they are not removable, raise and lower them as and when so that you can reach the entire window parts while painting.
- Start with the outer sash. Start painting the muntins and move forward to the vertical ones. Leave the sashes out long enough to dry thoroughly before fixing them back.
- Next, paint the exposed parts of the stiles, the top rail, and the bottom rail.
- Next, paint the parts of the inner sash, starting with the muntins and finishing with the rails.
- Next, paint the stool, and then finish by painting the apron.
- Repeat the above steps for a double coat if required.
NOTE: When painting the trim of a double-hung window, always start with the head casing, and then paint down the sides. Using rag wrapped around a putty-knife blade, wipe off any excess paint.
How to paint casement windows
- Start by painting the vertical muntins and then moving forward to the horizontal ones.
- Next, paint the top rails, the bottom rails, and the stiles.
- Finally paint the casing.
Tips on how to paint window frames
- Whatever type of window you are going to paint, make sure not to paint the jamb as it can cause the window to stick. Once you are done with the painting, wax the jamb with floor wax if the jamb is made of wood. This is not required in case of a metal jamb.
- Cover the edges of the glass with masking tape if you do not have a steady hand.
- Always use a good quality tapered sash brush.
- To avoid any condensation under the paint, let the paint lap slightly onto the glass.
- Wipe off all excess paint with a rag wrapped around a putty-knife blade.
- Top 10 Tools for DIY Home Improvement and Repair Projects
- How to Paint Metal Surface at Home
- How to Paint Wooden Surface at Home
- Exterior Entry Doors Buying Guide & Reviews (Choosing the Best Exterior Door)
- Shower Door Buying Guide and Review for Consumers
- Sliding Door Buying Guide and Review for Consumers
- Wood French Door Buying Guide and Review for Consumers (Exterior and Interior Wood French Doors)
- Exterior Front Entry Door Buying Guide
- Home Room Dividers & Partition
- How to Paint a French Wooden Door – Painting a French Door
- How to Repair and Fix Doorbell and Door Chime Problems
- Sliding Door – Hardware and Construction of Interior and Exterior Sliding Doors
- Doors Manufacturers – List of Top 10 Home Door Manufacturers
- French Door – Interior and Exterior French Doors Material and Construction
- Types of French Doors
- Feng Shui Fu Dogs: Chinese Door God for Protection