Taking proper care of wood flooring can increase its natural beauty and increase its life. All wood flooring need proper and regular repair and care to maintain the natural beauty.
Here is how to clean a wood floor / hardwood floor:
- Clean regularly using soft, fine bristle broom and vacuum cleaner.
- Use wood floor cleaning mop (dry) to remove any water to avoid any dampness on the wood.
- Use professional wood floor cleaning product to safely remove tough stains and spills.
- Never use unwanted and unknown chemical to clean wood flooring.
How to Prevent Scratches on Wood Floors
Wood is more likely to scratch than other flooring. Here are tips on ” How to Prevent Scratches on Wood Floors“:
- Keep the floor clean so that there is no dust that can cause scratches.
- Avoid wearing heavy shoes or high heels on hardwood floors, as some heels can cause dents.
- If there are dogs and cats in your home, make sure their nails are trimmed.
- Put down blankets, towels or cotton cloth when moving or sliding heavy objects or furniture across the floor. Install furniture slides on your tables and chairs.
- Put mats at entrances and heavy traffic areas to catch dirt.
How to Repair Scratches on Wood Floor
How to repair scratches of wood floors depends on the extent of scratch and damage.
- Minor scratches can be buffed away using steel wool or progressively finer sandpaper grits. Sand only the scratched area in line with the wood grain. Use a scouring pad dipped in mineral spirits or a sanding screen to sand polyurethane finishes.
- Use scratch-removing sprays for simple scratches. These are readily available in most home improvement stores. You can also use Oils and finishes for such small scratches.
- If the scratch has a slight texture or has past the finish, use wood patching.
- Use wool fillers and recommended wood floor repairing chemicals to repair deeper scratches. Wood-repair wax sticks may help to fill deeper scratches and dents.
- If you want to do it the easy way, you can just throw a carpet over the scratch.
How to Take Care of Wood Floor
- Never wax a floor that has a polyurethane coating. This will negate the ability to re-coat the floor in the future.
- If paste wax will adhere to the finish, you can use it to hide scratches. These paste wax are easily in most home repair hardware stores. Colors available are clear, honey tone, or brown to match most wood floors.
- You can raise small dents by placing a few drops of water on them. This allows the wood to swell back to its original shape. Applying mild heat with an iron or heat gun helps this process.
- Solid Wood Flooring
- Vinyl Wood Plank Flooring
- Radiant Floor Heating
- How to Install Radiant Floor Heating System
- Engineered Wood Flooring
- Bamboo Flooring Information
- How to Install a Hardwood Floor
- How to Clean Wood Floors – DIY Wooden Flooring Cleaning Tips
- How to Lay or Install Bathroom Tiles
- How to Find and Hire the Best Home Remodeling Contractor
- What is Epoxy Floor Paint?
- Advantages / Benefits of Wood Flooring in Your Home
- How to Install Ceramic Floor Tiles
- How to Install Hardwood Floor
- Flooring Ideas, Options and Tips
- Eco-Friendly Flooring Options
- Flooring Options for Every Room – Living Room, Bedroom, Bathroom, Kitchen
- Wood Floors and Hardwood Wooden Flooring Options
- Bamboo Flooring Guide
- Hardwood Floor / Flooring Guide with Product to Repair Scratch & Refinishing
- Vinyl Flooring Guide (Vinyl Floor Tile and Vinyl Sheet Floors)
- Hydronic Radiant Floor Heating System Guide
- Wood Flooring Finishes Guide – Wood Floor Surface Finish
- Laminate Wood Flooring Guide & Information
- Electric Radiant Floor Heating System Guide and Information