Bathroom sink plumbing and installation: Learn about bathroom sink plumbing and how to install a bathroom sink. Bathroom sink plumbing and installation is quite an easy DIY project. The job gets easier if you are going to install a new bathroom sink in a new construction.
In order to replace a sink, you have to remove the existing sink very carefully. Uninstall your existing sink first. If yours is a metal sink, loosen the screw clips and lift out the sink. Uninstall other plumbing and fixtures. Uninstall the sink drain carefully. Once you have removed the sink and the drain, clean all the crud from around the edge. Now you are ready to install your new bathroom sink.
How to install a bathroom sink: Step-by-Step Instructions
If you are replacing your metal sink with a porcelain sink, you will have to use caulking on the sink to hold it on place because there is no clips to hold it in place.
- Carefully lower the sink over the hole. Make sure it is centered right.
- Install the drain. Make sure you seal it at the top with putty or caulking so that if you close the drain plug, the water stays in the sink and doesn’t leak out. The part that goes on the bottom of the sink should have a rubber seal.
- Seal the bottom of the drain spout to the drain plumbing using a conical or wedge type of gaskets. The nut on top pushes the wedge into the drain pipe, which compresses it and causes it to perfectly seal between the drain plumbing and the spout from the sink.
You are done with installation of the sink and can proceed to install the faucet.
Bathroom Sink Plumbing and Installation Tips
- Never use too small pipes when you install a bathroom sink.
- Use PTFE Tape or pipe compound at threaded joints.
- Do not attach copper to galvanized without using a brass or dielectric fitting between the two.
- Level your fixtures when installing them.
- Install an air gap filling for fixtures.
- Properly align tubing into fittings or stop valves.
- Bathroom Design and Remodeling Ideas
- Common Plumbing Problems and How to Fix Them – DIY Plumbing Problems and Solution
- Bathroom Sinks Information
- Bathroom Sinks Pictures and Photo Gallery
- Bathroom Lighting Options
- Bathroom Flooring Options
- Bathroom Design Pictures and Photo Gallery
- Bathroom Cabinets Information
- Bathtubs Guide
- Vessel Sink Buying Guide
- Bathroom Lights and Lighting Fixtures Buying Guide
- Bathroom Vanity Sink Buying Guide
- How to Install a Tankless Water Heater
- How to Install a Toilet
- How to Install a Washing Machine
- How to Install Vanity Light
- How to Unclog a Clogged Bathroom Sink Drain
- How to Install a Bathroom Sink Drain
- How to Install an Undermount Sink
- How to Lay or Install Bathroom Tiles
- How to Drain a Water Heater